List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rob Munsch Date:April 19 2006 6:44pm
Subject:Re: Reply / Return Address of this List
View as plain text
Jay Blanchard wrote:

>[snip]
>could actually tell me a reason why it is better this way?
>[/snip]
>
>Here is the answer;
>
>http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Interesting.  I like the general tone of "this  is the only right thing,
and we respect the opinion of anyone who differs, even though it makes
them a blithering idiot."  XD

Also, one of the examples amusingly states you need to "write down the
address, delete the-" Hold on.  Copy/paste, anyone?

The line near the end is the best:  "One day I accidentally sent a
private, personal reply out over one of my own damn lists." Wherein it
is once again proven that all 'logical, rational' decisions are merely
subjective reactions to emotional trauma ,-).

>Also read this;
>
>http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

I've always been a fan of
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/emily-postnews/

myself.

However - it is clear, if nothing else in this thread is, that this is
not likely to change anytime soon; that there are, in fact, valid
technical and RFCish reasons for this being the case; that more
importantly, the people who run the list are vehemently, if not rabidly,
against the idea of arbitrarily screwing with message headers; and that
this is not a position you can really find *too* much fault with, in the
end.  So can we stop flaming each other over mail practices and
recommence flaming each other over dba practices instead?

:D

--
Rob Munsch
Solutions For Progress IT

Thread
RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListJay Blanchard18 Apr
  • RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListAndy Eastham18 Apr
    • RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListAlec.Cawley18 Apr
      • RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListJason Teagle18 Apr
        • RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListSST - Adelaide)18 Apr
      • Re: Reply / Return Address of this ListMartijn Tonies18 Apr
RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListJay Blanchard18 Apr
RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListJay Blanchard18 Apr
  • RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListAndy Eastham18 Apr
Re: Reply / Return Address of this ListMichael Stassen18 Apr
RE: Reply / Return Address of this ListJay Blanchard18 Apr
  • Re: Reply / Return Address of this ListRob Munsch19 Apr