List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 26 1999 2:48am
Subject:db backup question
View as plain text
>>>>> "David" == David R Saunders <drs8h@stripped>
> writes:

David> Mysql folks,
David>   we've been looking at the various alternatives for doing
David> a backup of our mysql databases.
David>   One question: we've seen references where one can use an operating
David> system copy command to backup databases.  The procedure would be:

David> 	connect to the database
David> 	lock all of the database's tables
David> 	copy all of the associated database tables elsewhere (using OS copy cmd)
David> 	unlock the tables
David> 	disconnect from the database

David> One concern which has been raised is: will an OS copy command copy the
David> table files correctly?  We've heard of problems (with other applications)
David> where the internal structure of the application's data files contained
David> holes, and where a unix "cp" command  does not preserve these holes
David> (thus creating a worthless backup).

David> The question is: does this situation apply to mysql databases?  Thanks
David> for your help,
David> Dave Saunders
David> drs8h@stripped

Hi!

The MySQL tables has no holes, so it's safe to use 'cp' to copy the
table files.

PS: Sorry for the late reply;  I am still trying to catch up with my
    mails that piled up during my vacation.
Thread
db backup questionDavid R. Saunders29 Oct
  • db backup questionMichael Widenius26 Nov