Sandy,
>$result = mysql_query($sql,$lnk);
>Why this leads to 'ressource id #10' instead of the flies count ?
>The query gives the actual count if I use it in a line command !!
You've been fooled by your variable name. For SELECT, SHOW, DESCRIBE or EXPLAIN, mysql_query() returns a resource on success, for other type of SQL statements (UPDATE, DELETE etc) mysql_query() returns TRUE on success, and they both return FALSE on error.

PB

-----

Hi

function flies(){
$sql = 'select count(*) from flies';
$lnk = mysql_connect('localhost','root','123456');
$db = mysql_select_db('moar',$lnk);
$result = mysql_query($sql,$lnk);
mysql_free_result($result);
mysql_close($lnk);
return $result;
}

Why this leads to 'ressource id #10' instead of the flies count ?
The query gives the actual count if I use it in a line command !!

thanks