List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:March 28 2006 8:09am
Subject:Re: foreign key creation on MyISAM storage engine
View as plain text
Hello Taco,

> I previously tried this same question on the GUI tool list, but not much
> traffic there, so I thought I'd give it a go here.
> I've been reading some articles that suggest I should be able to create a
> relationship on a MyISAM table, it would be great if someone could confirm
> or deny this.
> ---------------------------
>
> Hi all,
>
> has anyone experienced any problems creating foreign keys (relationships)
on
> tables that are of storage engine MyISAM?

Now, there will be people telling you that you CAN create foreign keys.

Well, in a way, this is true -> you can create columns with values that
point to other tables.

What you probably are asking, is if you can referential integrity
constraints.

The answer, for MyISAM tables, is NO.

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
foreign key creation on MyISAM storage engineTaco Fleur28 Mar
  • Re: foreign key creation on MyISAM storage engineMartijn Tonies28 Mar
    • Re: foreign key creation on MyISAM storage engineGreg 'groggy' Lehey29 Mar