List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:barney Date:March 25 2006 6:10pm
Subject:Find records not in many-to-many table?
View as plain text
Folk,

This may be off-base for this list, but I've run out of places to look, sorry.  I can't
seem to find this anywhere, although I'm certain I've seen it before.

How can I identify all the records in a table that are not referenced in a many-to-many
table?

I have a [unique] table of files and a [unique] table of attributes.  These are linked in
a merge table which is many-to-many.  I need to find all items in the file table that are
not referenced in the merge table in order to add appropriate attributes for those
records.  The attribute list is 26-30 records and the file table is currently about 3,200
records, which could make for a merge table of 96,000 records.

I tried using an IN statement against a sub-select of unique file ids in the merge table,
but either that will not work or I did not craft it properly  The query hit 6 million
records before I aborted it <sigh />.

I'm certain this can be done ... I seem to remember a similar process from the DB2
corporate days ... but I just cannot wrap my head around it.  Anybody have any ideas,
please?

Make a good day ...
                                  ... barn

Thread
Find records not in many-to-many table?barney25 Mar
  • Re: Find records not in many-to-many table?Stefan Kuhn25 Mar
  • Re: Find records not in many-to-many table?sheeri kritzer27 Mar
Re: Find records not in many-to-many table?barney26 Mar
  • Re: Find records not in many-to-many table?Peter Brawley26 Mar
  • Re: Find records not in many-to-many table?Michael Stassen26 Mar
  • Re: Find records not in many-to-many table?Stefan Kuhn26 Mar
Re: Find records not in many-to-many table?barney26 Mar