List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mysql Date:March 23 2006 4:59pm
Subject:Re: Question about autoincrement ID
View as plain text
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 SGreen@stripped wrote:

> To: saf <saf@stripped>
> From: SGreen@stripped
> Subject: Re: Question about autoincrement ID
>
> One important thing to remember: You should not let UI
> design requirements dictate your DB design. Most
> developers who design the database just to support the
> front end up regretting the decision. Those designs are
> either impossible to extend or impossible to manage or
> both. You should always design for an efficient database
> and adjust your retrieval methods to present the data in
> the manner requested, not the other way around.
>
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

IMHO I think the database is the central core of a DB driven
website. Therefore it should be the first thing designed in
a DB driven website.

Everything else in a DB driven site should then be built
around the expected functionality of the database.

So, if one starts out by designing a database (and it's
server(s)) with optimum performance and upgradability as
design goals, you won't go to far wrong.

Just my 2c.

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.
Thread
Question about autoincrement ID(saf)23 Mar
  • Re: Question about autoincrement IDSGreen23 Mar
    • Re: Question about autoincrement ID(saf)23 Mar
      • Re: Question about autoincrement IDAlec.Cawley23 Mar
      • Re: Question about autoincrement IDSGreen23 Mar
        • Re: Question about autoincrement IDmysql23 Mar
  • Re: Question about autoincrement IDMartijn Tonies23 Mar
Re: Question about autoincrement ID(saf)23 Mar