List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:saf Date:March 23 2006 3:50pm
Subject:Question about autoincrement ID
View as plain text
Hi,

I have a question about autoincremend id:
If I have an autoincrement id set on my first column field of my table and I have the
following entries:
1
3

And then I make a INSERT INTO foobar VALUES(''); , the next field would be automatically
4:
1
3
4

Is there a possibility to take a free ID to not use too high IDs for nothing?
I would like to take the ID 2 and not 4, because ID 2 is free.

My problem is that my system which uses the ID numbers in applications which uses them
as signed int or unsigned int,
so I will soon have a problem, because I insert (and delete some times) many entries in my
SQL database,
but not more than the highest value of an signed integer.

--
Best regards,
saf

Question about autoincrement ID(saf)23 Mar
  • Re: Question about autoincrement IDSGreen23 Mar
    • Re: Question about autoincrement ID(saf)23 Mar
      • Re: Question about autoincrement IDAlec.Cawley23 Mar
      • Re: Question about autoincrement IDSGreen23 Mar
        • Re: Question about autoincrement IDmysql23 Mar
  • Re: Question about autoincrement IDMartijn Tonies23 Mar
Re: Question about autoincrement ID(saf)23 Mar