List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marten Lehmann Date:March 21 2006 8:38pm
Subject:Re: innodb in 4.1.18
View as plain text
Hello,

> This is spelled out pretty clearly in the manual:
>
>> InnoDB always needs the shared tablespace because it puts its
>> internal data dictionary and undo logs there. The .ibd files are  not
>> sufficient for InnoDB to operate.

well, thats what I found before. But it doesn't explain why InnoDB does
need a logfile even when all transactions are committed or rolled back
and mysql is shut down.

It does explain, that I can use innodb_file_per_table which gives the
impression that with that option a shared ibdata isn't required. Or
maybe it is required during runtime, but not for a backup.

So with InnoDB it is not possible to shutdown the database server,
backup the files and maybe use them on another server if the other
server already has an ibdata and ib_logfile? Do I always have to do a
mysqldump then? That takes much longer.

Regards
Marten
Thread
innodb in 4.1.18Marten Lehmann21 Mar
  • Re: innodb in 4.1.18Bill Adams21 Mar
  • Re: innodb in 4.1.18Ware Adams21 Mar
    • Re: innodb in 4.1.18Marten Lehmann21 Mar
      • Re: innodb in 4.1.18Bill Adams21 Mar
        • Re: innodb in 4.1.18Mark Leith22 Mar