List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dominik Klein Date:March 21 2006 8:58am
Subject:Re: beginning confusions
View as plain text
> [eric@sonyc ~]$ mysqlshow
> +-----------+
> | Databases |
> +-----------+
> | test      |
> +-----------+

In standard setup, there is a user without a name and password, who can
connect from localhost to database "test".
So, accessing with this user gives you a list of the databases this user
can see.

> [eric@sonyc ~]$ mysqlshow mysql
> mysqlshow: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'mysql'

As "" is not allowed to use database "mysql", you get the "access
denied" message.

> [eric@sonyc ~]$ su -
> Password:
> [root@sonyc ~]# mysqlshow mysql
> mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password:
> NO)

I suppose the root-Account for your MySQL has got a password. As you
have not given a password, you are not allowed to connect.
Try "mysqlshow -p mysql"

your second mail:

 > More Confusions: When I try to follow the manual and enter
 > 'bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &' I get this:
 >
 > [eric@sonyc ~]$ cd /usr
 > [eric@sonyc usr]$ bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
 > [1] 10340
 > [eric@sonyc usr]$ cat: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid: Permission denied
 > rm: cannot remove `/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid': Permission denied
 > Fatal error: Can't remove the pid file: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

When mysql is starting, it removes any old pid-Files. If another user
started MySQL before, this pid file belongs to that user and "eric"
cannot remove it.

 > bin/mysqld_safe: line 284: /var/log/mysqld.log: Permission denied

Again here: check permissions on /var/log/mysqld.log and wether "eric"
is able to write to that file.

 > mysqld start'. Isn't there a way to start mysql other than as root?

You can start mysql as any user. Just make sure you have proper file
permissions.

Regards
Dominik
Thread
beginning confusionsEric Beversluis20 Mar
  • Re: beginning confusionsEric Beversluis21 Mar
  • Re: beginning confusionsDominik Klein21 Mar