List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Foo Ji-Haw Date:March 20 2006 2:43am
Subject:Discussion: the efficiency in using foreign keys
View as plain text
Hi all,

This is a fundamental concept in RDBMS: the use of foreign keys in
database design.

I'd just like to poll the community here, on whether it is a best
practice, or practically essential to 'link' related tables by use of
foreign keys.

For myself, I usually do all the validity checking when adding a new
record that references a record id from another table. I understand that
this may not be efficient because it becomes 2 database calls (and db
calls are expensive in high-load environments).

What are the advantages/ disadvantages in using foreign keys? In MySQL,
this means one cannot use MyISAM. Do you place a lot of triggers as well?

Thanks.
Thread
Discussion: the efficiency in using foreign keysFoo Ji-Haw20 Mar
  • Re: Discussion: the efficiency in using foreign keysmysql20 Mar
    • Re: Discussion: the efficiency in using foreign keysFoo Ji-Haw20 Mar
  • Re: Discussion: the efficiency in using foreign keysMartijn Tonies20 Mar
    • Re: Discussion: the efficiency in using foreign keysmysql20 Mar
      • Re: Discussion: the efficiency in using foreign keysFoo Ji-Haw21 Mar