List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:March 16 2006 2:45pm
Subject:On MySQL Views (Re: Accountability with MySQL)
View as plain text
Hello Gordon,

> And now we are down to reality. This is a MySQL list. Views are a
wonderful
> thing for creating an isolation layer between the application and the
> database. However, MySQL's current implementation makes it extremely
> difficult in many cases to avoid full table scans when you define the
> logical view. {Not poking at the development team I think 5.x is a huge
step
> forward}.

Can you elaborate on that?

Any real world experience with MySQL views?

The thing that annoys the blo*** cr** out of me with the
current implementation is the maintainability of views ->
as the complete query structure is lost once you've created
a view, so you need to run/modify it from SQL statement
all the time :-(

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Accountability with MySQLBruno B B Magalháes14 Mar
  • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLBruno B B Magalháes14 Mar
  • Re: Accountability with MySQLSGreen14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLRhino14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLRhino15 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLJames Harvard15 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies15 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies15 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLRhino15 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies15 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLStephen Cook16 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLRhino15 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLJames Harvard16 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLMark Leith16 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLJames Harvard16 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLAlec.Cawley16 Mar
        • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Mar
          • Re: Accountability with MySQLAlec.Cawley16 Mar
          • Re: Accountability with MySQLJames Harvard16 Mar
          • RE: Accountability with MySQLGordon16 Mar
            • On MySQL Views (Re: Accountability with MySQL)Martijn Tonies16 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Mar
    • Coalesce (was: Re: Accountability with MySQL)Martijn Tonies16 Mar
    • True Propositions (was Re: Accountability with MySQL)Martijn Tonies16 Mar