List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bruno B B Magalháes Date:March 14 2006 6:09pm
Subject:Re: Accountability with MySQL
View as plain text
Hi Martijn,

well about the date default value being invalid, well it´s working here in
my system (MySQL 4.1.16, Mac OS X 10.4.5), and all my systens work with
this...

About the business logic I was thinking about showing the current month by
default, and if the user wants he can select diferent days, months and
year, or beetween dates.. And everything will be shown in a simple list,
with some graphics like bills to pay in the next week, income to recieve
in next week, and simple stats of that kind..

To split in two tables (income and outcome) seams a good idea...

Best Regards,
Bruno B B Magalhães

> Hello Bruno,
>
>> I am designing a simple accountability system so all the partners can
>> have
>> direct access to it by intranet.
>>
>> I was designing the data model, and came up with this:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE `moviments` (
>>   `moviment_id` int(20) NOT NULL auto_increment,
>>   `moviment_date` date NOT NULL default '0000-00-00',
>
> What a weird default date -> it's rather invalid, isn't it?
>
>>   `moviment_description` char(200) NOT NULL default '',
>>   `moviment_assignor` char(80) NOT NULL default '',
>>   `moviment_drawee` char(80) NOT NULL default '',
>>   `moviment_amount` int(20) NOT NULL default '0',
>>   PRIMARY KEY  (`moviment_id`)
>> ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1
>>

> btw, given all the "default" clauses, did you know you can actually
> put a complete empty "moviment" into this table? Doesn't say a thing.
> You might want to change that a bit :-)
>
>> But I am a little bit stuck with this:
>>
>> Should I use a column to mark if the moviment has been executed?
>> About income and outcome, should I use a column called moviment_type or
>> just put a negative value when is an outcome for exampe?
>
> Calculating summaries etc is, I think, much easier if you just do a minus.
>
>> Does anyone ever made something like that, any other idea that could
>> improve my little system?
>
> Well, it depends on what you're trying to do and how you want to
> query data.
>
> You could also decide to create two tables -> one for positives and one
> for negatives.
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - development tool for MySQL, and more!
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com
> My thoughts:
> http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
> Database development questions? Check the forum!

Accountability with MySQLBruno B B Magalháes14 Mar
  • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLBruno B B Magalháes14 Mar
  • Re: Accountability with MySQLSGreen14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLRhino14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies14 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLRhino15 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLJames Harvard15 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies15 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies15 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLRhino15 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies15 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLStephen Cook16 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLRhino15 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLJames Harvard16 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLMark Leith16 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLJames Harvard16 Mar
      • Re: Accountability with MySQLAlec.Cawley16 Mar
        • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Mar
          • Re: Accountability with MySQLAlec.Cawley16 Mar
          • Re: Accountability with MySQLJames Harvard16 Mar
          • RE: Accountability with MySQLGordon16 Mar
            • On MySQL Views (Re: Accountability with MySQL)Martijn Tonies16 Mar
    • Re: Accountability with MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Mar
    • Coalesce (was: Re: Accountability with MySQL)Martijn Tonies16 Mar
    • True Propositions (was Re: Accountability with MySQL)Martijn Tonies16 Mar