List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sean O'Hara Date:March 14 2006 4:09pm
Subject:migrating 4.0 to 4.1 character set problems
View as plain text
Hi,

I am having character set problems while trying to migrate my data
from a server running 4.0.25-standard to a server running 4.1.16. I
believe that the orginal database was using the latin1 character set
(not sure, is there any way to tell? show full column doesn't seem to
be supported in 4.0.x) and the default character set for the 4.1
server is latin1 as well. However when I try to import my data from a
mysqldump from the older server all accents are turned into question
marks.

I've searched the forums and mailing lists extensively for clues as
to how to resolve this issue. The most helpful post I found was here:
http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/186657

However, even following the instructions on this post I ran into
problems. Rather than turniing accents into question marks, any data
with accent was truncated at the first instance of such a character
(e.g. López becomes L). So that is not working either.

Incidentally, I would be happy to convert the data to utf8 while
upgrading to 4.1 but mostly I just want to get rid of the question
mark characters. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sean

Thread
migrating 4.0 to 4.1 character set problemsSean O'Hara14 Mar
  • Re: migrating 4.0 to 4.1 character set problemsSean O'Hara14 Mar
  • Re: migrating 4.0 to 4.1 character set problemsDusan Pavlica15 Mar