List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul Halliday Date:March 14 2006 12:09pm
Subject:Re: Merge tables.
View as plain text
On 3/14/06, Martijn Tonies <m.tonies@stripped> wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> I suggest you reply to the mailinglist :-) ...
>
> > The developer insists that for scalability issues, this was the
> > answer. It is likely, for example in my deployment, that these tables
> > would see upwards of 10 million records or more.
>
> Well, if there are problems with scalability, I guess you could
> split it up in a few (not 1600) tables and have them avaialble
> on different physical hard drives...

As an example:

There was a table called event.

This table is now broken up like this:

event _<sensor>_<date>.

So for every sensor, and every day, there is now a new table. So if I
have 20 sensors, every day I will have 20 new tables.

With this in mind, does this design make sense?

how will this scale?

Is there anything I can do through configuration (I doubt the
developer will change the design) to speed things up? or a workaround
that I could do on my end to compensate?

Thanks.

> But -> why try to fix something that ain't broken (yet)?
>
> Were you experiencing problems already? If the application
> is fast WITHOUT merge tables, why bother?
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - development tool for MySQL, and more!
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com
> My thoughts:
> http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
> Database development questions? Check the forum!
> http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

> now
> gone
> > >
> > > Why on earth would you spread this information across 1600 (!!!)
> > > tables? That's 1600 files to maintain instead of 1.

Thread
Merge tables.Paul Halliday14 Mar
  • Re: Merge tables.Martijn Tonies14 Mar
  • Re: Merge tables.Prasanna Raj14 Mar
  • Re: Merge tables.Martijn Tonies14 Mar
    • Re: Merge tables.Alec.Cawley14 Mar
    • Re: Merge tables.Paul Halliday14 Mar
      • Re: Merge tables.Alec.Cawley14 Mar
        • Re: Merge tables.nigel wood14 Mar
          • Re: Merge tables.Alec.Cawley14 Mar
          • Permissions block database creationDoug Pinkerton14 Mar
            • RE: Permissions block database creationMarciano [Intercol]14 Mar
            • Re: Permissions block database creationКосов Евгений14 Mar
  • Re: Merge tables.Martijn Tonies14 Mar