List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 24 1999 5:34pm
Subject:Re: temp tables "#"
View as plain text
At 11:37 AM -0500 11/24/99, mark@stripped wrote:
>Thanks Paul,
>
>Actually I was referring to the manual. Maybe I am a bit mixed up here.
>

>D.1.2 Changes in release 3.23.6
>
>-->     Temporary tables now starts with #sql.

I'm not sure what this means, but my *guess* is that it means internal
temporary tables (that the server creates for its own use).  I just
tried CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tbl_name SELECT ... FROM other_table
and it works, where tbl_name is an ordinary table name like you'd
normally use.

Did you try the kind of statement I suggested below and find
it not to work?

>If I am reading this  correctly you could actually do something like:
>
>select
>STA1.AccountID, SS1.StateID, STA1.SIC_ID
>
>INTO #temp
>
>FROM  SIC_TO_ACCOUNTS STA1,
>        STATES_SERVED  SS1
>WHERE
>      STA1.AccountID  =  SS1.AccountID
>

>Which would then select these columns into a temp table names #temp.
>
>The second query can the access this data via
>the #temp alias e.g.,
>
>select T1.AccountID
>             , A1.BusinessName
>              ,A1.Address
>              ,A1.City
>              ,S1.State
>              ,SIC.Name
>
>          FROM #temp T1,
>               ACCOUNTS A1,
>               SIC_CODES SIC,
>               STATES S1
>
>          WHERE
>          T1.StateID = S1.StateID
>          AND T1.SIC_ID = SIC.SIC_ID
>          AND A1.AccountID = T1.AccountID
>
>          group by SIC.Name, S1.State, A1.BusinessName
>
>          HAVING
>          T1.StateID = S1.StateID
>          AND T1.SIC_ID = SIC.SIC_ID
>          AND A1.AccountID = T1.AccountID !;
>

>However now that I think about it you are probably right. I seem to
>remember that mysql uses the
>/*
>#
>and
>--
>
>for comments...
>

>But then what is this:
>-->     Temporary tables now starts with #sql.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Mark
>
>On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 10:20:12AM -0600, Paul DuBois wrote:
>>  At 10:58 AM -0500 11/24/99, mark@stripped wrote:
>>  >I am using a the newest alpha release (2.23.6) and I  would like to
>>  >use the new temp table feature. It looks like it is very simmilar to
>>  >the sybase temp table.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >So for example, I would like to run the sql below...
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >STA1.AccountID, SS1.StateID, STA1.SIC_ID
>>  >
>>  >INTO #temp
>>  >
>>  >FROM  SIC_TO_ACCOUNTS STA1,
>>  >       STATES_SERVED  SS1
>>  >WHERE
>>  >     STA1.AccountID  =  SS1.AccountID
>>

>>  "#" is not a legal character in a table name in MySQL.
>>  In any case, there seems to be something missing at
>>  the front of your query.
>>
>>  I presume you'll want to use something like this:
>>
>>  CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temp SELECT
>>  	STA1.AccountID, SS1.StateID, STA1.SIC_ID
>>  FROM  SIC_TO_ACCOUNTS STA1,
>>  	STATES_SERVED  SS1
>>  WHERE
>>  	STA1.AccountID  =  SS1.AccountID
>>
>>  --
>>  Paul DuBois, paul@stripped

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
temp tables "#"mark24 Nov
  • Re: temp tables "#"Paul DuBois24 Nov
    • Re: temp tables "#"mark24 Nov
      • Re: temp tables "#"Paul DuBois24 Nov
      • Re: temp tables "#"Michael Widenius26 Nov
  • Re: temp tables "#"Steve Ruby24 Nov
Re: temp tables "#"Richard Ellerbrock25 Nov
  • Re: temp tables "#"Paul DuBois25 Nov