List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Heikki Tuuri Date:March 7 2006 5:57am
Subject:Re: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?
View as plain text
Daevid,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Daevid Vincent"" <daevid@stripped>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 5:54 AM

>> Osku is working on FULLTEXT for InnoDB.
>
> So, despite what the documentation says:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-boolean.html
> Which states:
> "They can work even without a FULLTEXT index, although a search executed
> in
> this fashion would be quite slow. "
>
> You're saying that InnoDB tables cannot use a BOOLEAN search at all, no
> way,
> no how?

hmm... I have not heard that a MATCH ... AGAINST query in MySQL could work
without a FULLTEXT index. If you try the query on a MyISAM table that does
NOT have a FULLTEXT index, does it work there?

> At the moment I only have a small db while I'm building the product, so
> "slow" is going to be relative at this point (ie. fast), and I would
> expect
> it to converge when you get FULLTEXT working in InnoDB. I would like to
> get
> the code in there though for now.
>
> Do you have an estimate timeframe till this is implemented?
> Weeks? Months? Version?

Sorry, no.

>> You could look at Sphinx, for exapmple.
>
> What is Sphinx? I did a quick google search but found many references to
> pyramids and other projects (popular name). Do you have a URL for this?

http://www.shodan.ru/projects/sphinx/

Best regards,

Heikki

Oracle Corp./Innobase Oy
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign keys for MySQL

InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Thread
Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Daevid Vincent4 Mar
Re: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Heikki Tuuri5 Mar
  • RE: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Daevid Vincent7 Mar
Re: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Heikki Tuuri7 Mar
Re: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Gabriel PREDA7 Mar