List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daevid Vincent Date:March 4 2006 7:54am
Subject:Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?
View as plain text
I just discovered this:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-boolean.html
Which states:
"They can work even without a FULLTEXT index, although a search executed in
this fashion would be quite slow. "

But then I'm kicked in the nuts because:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-search.html
"Full-text indexes can be used only with MyISAM tables"

When I try a query on an InnoDB table:

"SELECT * FROM categories WHERE MATCH (name) AGAINST ('+ELECTRONICS' IN
BOOLEAN MODE);"

I get:
"Error Code : 1214
The used table type doesn't support FULLTEXT indexes"

So, what is the deal? Am I missing something?

And if I can't use boolean searches on InnoDB tables with mySQL 5.0.18,
Then WHEN will I be able to?

In the mean time, what is the best way to generate this equivallent
functionality via PHP or some other mySQL 5 sanctioned way? I've seen
several different examples on the web, but don't know which to commit to.

Thread
Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Daevid Vincent4 Mar
Re: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Heikki Tuuri5 Mar
  • RE: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Daevid Vincent7 Mar
Re: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Heikki Tuuri7 Mar
Re: Boolean searches on InnoDB tables?Gabriel PREDA7 Mar