List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Schalk Date:February 24 2006 8:25am
Subject:Re: Query returns to many results
View as plain text
Peter Brawley wrote:
> />Now this query is run over two tables and the ab_members table contains
> >around 302 rows. Around 1/3 of these will be where cup=kids. However,
> >when this query is run it returns 20,700 results /
>
> That's because your ...
>
> FROM ab_leader_board ablb, ab_members abm
>
> calls for a cross join--it asks for every logically possible
> combination of ablb and abm rows. From the rest of your query, it
> appears you need something like ...
>
> FROM ab_leader_board ablb
> INNER JOIN ab_members abm USING (<name_of_joining_column>)
>
> Also, do you really mean to sum all those ablb column values after
> having already called for all ablb column values with ablb.*  ?
>
> PB
>
> -----
>
> Schalk wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> Please have a look at the following query:
>>
>> SELECT abm.mem_number, abm.first_name, abm.last_name,
>> abm.area_represented, abm.age, abm.sex, abm.cup,
>> ablb.*, ablb.jp + ablb.rc + ablb.fsmgp + ablb.gmc + ablb.saly +
>> ablb.nwgp + ablb.ecgp + ablb.sams + ablb.wcc + ablb.kzngp + ablb.emc
>> + ablb.lmgp + ablb.saff + ablb.gmgp + ablb.safy + ablb.mmw + ablb.lc
>> + ablb.mmc + ablb.nwmc + ablb.ncc + ablb.samp + ablb.gsc + ablb.wcmgp
>> + ablb.sapm + ablb.kznc + ablb.npc + ablb.smc + ablb.ecc + ablb.mgp +
>> ablb.samo + ablb.cofc + ablb.cs + ablb.ncmgp + ablb.fsc + ablb.ggp +
>> ablb.tmc + ablb.gc + ablb.yotm AS total_points FROM ab_leader_board
>> ablb, ab_members abm
>> WHERE abm.sex = 'Female' AND abm.cup = 'kids'
>> ORDER BY total_points DESC
>>
>> Now this query is run over two tables and the ab_members table
>> contains around 302 rows. Around 1/3 of these will be where cup=kids.
>> However, when this query is run it returns 20,700 results :0 Any idea
>> why this is? Also, any help or pointers as to how I can optimize this
>> query will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Greetings Peter,

Well, with regards to the ablb.*, I need access to each individual column as well as to
the sum of all of those columns, so I think I need to do both, or don't I?

--
Kind Regards
Schalk Neethling

Thread
Query returns to many resultsSchalk23 Feb
  • Re: Query returns to many resultsGeorge Law23 Feb
    • Re: Query returns to many resultsSchalk23 Feb
      • Re: Query returns to many resultsSGreen23 Feb
        • Re: Query returns to many resultsMartijn Tonies23 Feb
  • Re: Query returns to many resultsPeter Brawley24 Feb
    • Re: Query returns to many resultsSchalk24 Feb