List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Kasak Date:February 23 2006 9:23pm
Subject:Re: How stable will mysqld [compiled from source] be on linux 2.4
with glibc 2.3.2 (gcc 3.3.4)?
View as plain text
Denis Solovyov wrote:
> If  I  compile mysql from sources with gcc 3.3.4 on linux 2.4 with glibc
> 2.3.2,  how  stable  will  mysqld  be  with  lots  (more  than  500)  of
> simultaneous connections?
> Does the issue described in the documentation for glibc 2.2 (big default
> STACK_SIZE causes mysqld instablity) affect glibc 2.3 as well?
> Thank you.
> Denis Solovyov
I ran a similar system for quite a while - I didn't have any stability
issues, apart from final hardware failure :)
I can't tell you specifically about that glibc bug, but if the
documentation only mentions 2.2, then you should be fine.
Make sure you follow the instructions for compiling ( included in the
source distribution ) - specifically the recommended CFLAGS.

Some other things to keep in mind:
 - You would expect the most recent kernel to be the most stable ( most
recent 2.4 kernel is fine if you don't want to upgrade to 2.6 )
 - The gcc-3.3 series has reached 3.3.6 ... I don't know if there are
any bugs fixed between your 3.3.4 the 3.3.6 that would affect you -
probably not, but it's possible
 - MySQL recommends that people use their binaries for maximum
performance and stability. If you come across a bug, the first thing
they will suggest is that you try one of their binaries

Daniel Kasak
IT Developer
NUS Consulting Group
Level 5, 77 Pacific Highway
North Sydney, NSW, Australia 2060
T: (+61) 2 9922-7676 / F: (+61) 2 9922 7989
email: dkasak@stripped
How stable will mysqld [compiled from source] be on linux 2.4 with glibc 2.3.2 (gcc 3.3.4)?Denis Solovyov23 Feb
  • Re: How stable will mysqld [compiled from source] be on linux 2.4with glibc 2.3.2 (gcc 3.3.4)?Daniel Kasak23 Feb