List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Kasak Date:February 23 2006 9:23pm
Subject:Re: How stable will mysqld [compiled from source] be on linux 2.4
with glibc 2.3.2 (gcc 3.3.4)?
View as plain text
Denis Solovyov wrote:
> If  I  compile mysql from sources with gcc 3.3.4 on linux 2.4 with glibc
> 2.3.2,  how  stable  will  mysqld  be  with  lots  (more  than  500)  of
> simultaneous connections?
>
> Does the issue described in the documentation for glibc 2.2 (big default
> STACK_SIZE causes mysqld instablity) affect glibc 2.3 as well?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Denis Solovyov

I ran a similar system for quite a while - I didn't have any stability
issues, apart from final hardware failure :)
I can't tell you specifically about that glibc bug, but if the
documentation only mentions 2.2, then you should be fine.
Make sure you follow the instructions for compiling ( included in the
source distribution ) - specifically the recommended CFLAGS.

Some other things to keep in mind:
 - You would expect the most recent kernel to be the most stable ( most
recent 2.4 kernel is fine if you don't want to upgrade to 2.6 )
 - The gcc-3.3 series has reached 3.3.6 ... I don't know if there are
any bugs fixed between your 3.3.4 the 3.3.6 that would affect you -
probably not, but it's possible
 - MySQL recommends that people use their binaries for maximum
performance and stability. If you come across a bug, the first thing
they will suggest is that you try one of their binaries

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer