List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mel list_php Date:February 14 2006 6:59pm
Subject:Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problem
View as plain text
Hi,

The precise instructions are here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-syntax.html

You can start your server specifying the character set
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-server.html), and alter the
databases (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-database.html),
but if it is your local home installation you could also recompile mysql
specifying utf8 when you run configure. That's the option I chose for my
personal home installation and I updated the server version at the same time
:-)

hth,
melanie

>From: Dave M G <martin@stripped>
>To: mysql@stripped
>Subject: Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding
>problem
>Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:54:00 +0900
>

>>detailed info here:
>>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-connection.html
>

>Thank you for that link. I think this is the heart of the issue.
>
>Following the advice on the web page, I ran these commands:
>SET NAMES utf8;
>SET CHARACTER_SET utf8;
>
>But I can check my MySQL system variables in phpMyAdmin, and here's what it
>says:
>Variable        Session value        Global value
>character set client        utf8       latin1
>character set connection     utf8     latin1
>character set database     latin1     latin1
>character set results     utf8     latin1
>character set server     latin1     latin1
>character set system     utf8     utf8
>collation connection     utf8_general_ci     latin1_swedish_ci
>collation database     latin1_swedish_ci     latin1_swedish_ci
>collation server     latin1_swedish_ci     latin1_swedish_ci
>
>What I want to do is change *all* of these to utf8. That's the only
>encoding I ever work in, and I want to make my system as consistent as
>possible.
>
>What commands do I run to permanently fix all of these collation and
>character set variables to utf8?
>
>--
>Dave M G
>
>--

7.5 today! http://messenger.msn.co.uk

Thread
Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problemDave M G12 Feb
  • Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problemDave M G13 Feb
    • Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problemmel list_php13 Feb
      • Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problemDave M G14 Feb
        • Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problemmel list_php14 Feb
          • Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problemDave M G15 Feb
            • Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problemmel list_php15 Feb
      • Re: Unable to duplicate a database at home, possible encoding problem古雷15 Feb