List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rory McKinley Date:February 9 2006 8:06pm
Subject:Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5
View as plain text
SGreen@stripped wrote:
 > Rory McKinley <rorym@stripped> wrote on 02/09/2006 07:37:17 AM:
 >
 >> Hello List
 >>
 >> I have tried dynamically assigning a database name to a stored proc via
 >> its parameter list:
<snip>
<snip>

 > Use a "prepared statement". Build your SQL statement as a string,
prepare
 > it, and execute it. It's all right there in the manual.

<snip>

I am afraid that it doesn't work - unless I am being thick (yes, I know,
not like it hasn't happened before).
Used a test statement such as this:

PREPARE query_statement  FROM "SELECT * FROM ?.sites"

Which causes a syntax error right at the ?

Whereas the following statement works fine, but doesn't help me :

SELECT * FROM sites WHERE site_name = ?

While RTFM, I came across the following:

"Parameter markers can be used only where data values should appear, not
for SQL keywords, identifiers, and so forth."

Which, if combined with my test results leaves me with Martijn's
original answer of it not being possible after all :(.

Rory

Thread
Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Rory McKinley9 Feb
  • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Martijn Tonies9 Feb
    • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Peter Brawley12 Feb
  • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5SGreen9 Feb
    • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Martijn Tonies9 Feb
    • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Rory McKinley9 Feb
      • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5SGreen9 Feb
        • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Rory McKinley10 Feb
        • Re: [SOLVED]Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Rory McKinley10 Feb
      • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Peter Brawley11 Feb