List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:February 9 2006 2:31pm
Subject:Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5
View as plain text

> > I have tried dynamically assigning a database name to a stored proc via
> > its parameter list:
> >
> > CREATE STORED PROCEDURE testStoredProc (IN test_db_name CHAR)
> >    BEGIN
> >    SELECT * FROM test_db_name.test_table;
> >    END;
> >
> > MySQL does not resolve test_db_name to the value passed in the
> > parameter, and the query fails because there is no database with that
> name.
> >
> > Is there any way around this?
> >

> Use a "prepared statement". Build your SQL statement as a string, prepare
> it, and execute it. It's all right there in the manual.

Indeed, I stand corrected.

This page:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/news-5-0-13.html

says that this is now possible in Stored Procedures :-)

Martijn Tonies
Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Rory McKinley9 Feb
  • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Martijn Tonies9 Feb
    • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Peter Brawley12 Feb
  • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5SGreen9 Feb
    • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Martijn Tonies9 Feb
    • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Rory McKinley9 Feb
      • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5SGreen9 Feb
        • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Rory McKinley10 Feb
        • Re: [SOLVED]Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Rory McKinley10 Feb
      • Re: Passing db names to a stored proc in MySQL 5Peter Brawley11 Feb