List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Célio Cidral Junior Date:February 5 2006 7:20pm
Subject:Re: How to create an application for managing users
View as plain text
2006/2/4, sol beach <sol.beach@stripped>:
> What other C# applications have you previously written?
> Do you know anything more than how to spell SQL?
> Have you ever installed and administered MYSQL?

I have been working as a professional programmer for around five
years, and have been writing enterprise .NET applications for around
three years. Among the SGBDs I've been working are Oracle and MSSQL.
Actually, I have written my first application using MySQL 4.1 for
academic purposes. I installed MySQL at home and have been playing
with it together with the MySQL Administrator tool.

But I think that my question was not clear enough, so please let me
explain a bit more. What I exactly want is to manage those 'native'
users registered at the MySQL database, those who have permissions set
upon determined db schemas, those who you create through the MySQL
Administrator tool (for example). I'm *not* talking about creating a
custom table called USERS or something and write CRUD statements to
manage them.

Why do I want that in such a way? Because I want my clients to login
to the application using their own corresponding 'native' users. And I
will delegate to one of them the responsibility to manage users. If I
store users in a USERS table, I will need a 'global' user with which
all clients use to login. The 'global' user's password would be stored
locally at each client workstation (the application I'm referring is a
client/server, desktop one). This way is naive and insecure.

I hope you or anybody else can help me. Let me know if my explanation
is still bad.

Regards,

Célio Cidral Junior
Thread
How to create an application for managing usersCélio Cidral Junior4 Feb
  • Re: How to create an application for managing usersPeter Brawley4 Feb
Re: How to create an application for managing usersCélio Cidral Junior5 Feb
  • Re: How to create an application for managing usersSGreen7 Feb
    • Re: How to create an application for managing usersCélio Cidral Junior7 Feb