List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mysql Date:February 1 2006 10:46pm
Subject:Re: Dictionary
View as plain text
Well I have just done a google.co.uk search for

english dictionary downloadable

and got the following results:

Web Results
1 - 10 of about 1,290,000 for english dictionary downloadable.

They may not be in the correct format to import directly.

But I'm sure it is possible to write a script to parse the
downloaded dictionary, and build the query to insert the
contents into a database yourself, or to convert the
dictionary into another suitable format that would be
compatible for loading directly into a database table.

HTH

Keith

In practice they are not.

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 SGreen@stripped wrote:

> To: Peter of Pedsters Planet <pedsters.planet@stripped>
> From: SGreen@stripped
> Subject: Re: Dictionary
>
> Peter of Pedsters Planet <pedsters.planet@stripped> wrote on 02/01/2006
> 01:27:45 PM:
>
> > I'd like to know too if posible :)
> >
> > On 01/02/06, Scott Hamm <linuxgold@stripped> wrote:
> > > I've been trying to google to no avail for English dictionary (with
> > > definitions) in any format that I can download and import into MySQL.
> > > Do anyone know where I can find it?
> >

> There is a lot of effort that goes into creating and
> maintaining all of the definitions for hundreds of
> thousands of words. I seriously doubt that any dictionary
> publisher is just going to give it all away for free,
> regardless of the language.
>
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Thread
DictionaryScott Hamm1 Feb
  • Re: DictionaryPeter of Pedsters Planet1 Feb
    • Re: DictionarySGreen1 Feb
      • Re: Dictionarymysql1 Feb
  • RE: DictionaryISC Edwin Cruz1 Feb
  • Re: DictionaryOctavian Rasnita1 Feb