List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jake Peavy Date:January 30 2006 2:56pm
Subject:Re: Finding the row number satisfying a conditon in a result set
View as plain text
On 1/30/06, Jacques Brignon <jacbrignon@stripped> wrote:

> I would like some advice on the various and best ways of finding the rank
> of the
> row  which satisfies a given condition in a rsult set.
>
> Let's assume that the result set includes a field containing an identifier
> from
> one of the table used in the query and that not two rows have the same
> value
> for this identifier but that the result set does not contains all the
> sequential values for this identifier and/or the values are not sorted in
> any
> predictable order.
>
> The brute force method is to loop through all the rows of the result set,
> until
> the number is found to get the rank of the row. That does not seem very
> clever
> and it can be very time consuming if the set has a lot of rows.

use ORDER BY with a LIMIT of 1

your subject line needs work though - a "row number" has no meaning in a
relational database.

-jp

Thread
display a hierarchic treeJochen Kaechelin29 Jan
  • Re: display a hierarchic treePeter Brawley29 Jan
  • Re: display a hierarchic treemysql29 Jan
  • Re: display a hierarchic treeGleb Paharenko30 Jan
    • Finding the row number satisfying a conditon in a result setJacques Brignon30 Jan
      • Re: Finding the row number satisfying a conditon in a result setJake Peavy30 Jan
    • Re: display a hierarchic tree(Pete Harlan)30 Jan