List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shaun Date:January 23 2006 4:51pm
Subject:Postcode Search
View as plain text
Hi,

We have a dataset of uk postcodes and their relevant X-Coordinates and
Y-Coordinates, a table of properties (houses), a table of users and a table
of offices - users work in an office - table structures below.

Is it possible to run a search of all properties in the properties table
that come within a certain distance of the users postcode, currently we do
this by downloading all properties into an array and stripping out the ones
that don't come within the radius with php.

# ---------- MySQL dump ----------
#
# Table structure for table 'Offices'
#
CREATE TABLE Offices (
  Office_ID int(11)  DEFAULT '' NOT NULL auto_increment,
  Subscriber_ID int(11)    ,
  Type varchar(10)    ,
  Address_Line_1 varchar(50)    ,
  Address_Line_2 varchar(50)    ,
  City varchar(50)    ,
  County varchar(50)    ,
  Postcode varchar(10)    ,
  Telephone varchar(12)    ,
  Fax varchar(12)    ,
  Radius tinyint(4)    ,
  PRIMARY KEY (Office_ID)
);

#
# Table structure for table 'Postcodes'
#
CREATE TABLE Postcodes (
  PCDSECT varchar(6)  DEFAULT '' NOT NULL ,
  SORTSECT varchar(6)    ,
  PCDDIST varchar(4)    ,
  SORTDIST varchar(4)    ,
  PCDAREA char(2)    ,
  X_COORD double(7,1) unsigned   ,
  Y_COORD double(7,1) unsigned   ,
  PRIMARY KEY (PCDSECT)
);

#
# Table structure for table 'Properties'
#
CREATE TABLE Properties (
  CHK varchar(20)    ,
  Property_ID int(11)  DEFAULT '' NOT NULL auto_increment,
  Insertion_Date date    ,
  Status varchar(20)    ,
  Property_Name_Or_Number varchar(50)    ,
  Address_Line_1 varchar(50)    ,
  Address_Line_2 varchar(50)    ,
  City varchar(50)    ,
  County varchar(50)    ,
  Postcode varchar(12)    ,
  PRIMARY KEY (Property_ID)
);

#
# Table structure for table 'Users'
#
CREATE TABLE Users (
  User_ID int(11)  DEFAULT '' NOT NULL auto_increment,
  Office_ID int(11)    ,
  Type varchar(20)    ,
  Title varchar(4)    ,
  Firstname varchar(20)    ,
  Lastname varchar(20)    ,
  Password varchar(20)  DEFAULT '' NOT NULL ,
  Email varchar(50)    ,
  PRIMARY KEY (User_ID)
);

Thread
Postcode SearchShaun23 Jan
  • Re: Postcode SearchSGreen23 Jan
  • Re: Postcode SearchMichael Stearne23 Jan
  • Re: Postcode Searchmysql23 Jan
  • Re: Postcode SearchShaun26 Jan