List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Grant Giddens Date:January 15 2006 4:22am
Subject:key_buffer_size vs innodb_buffer_pool_size
View as plain text
Hi,

    After reading through the example my.cnf files (large, huge,  etc), I started to
wonder what the difference was between the isam  key_buffer_size and the innodb
innodb_buffer_pool_size.

  I realize that they are two different table types, but some of the docs  says to set the
key_buffer_size to 25%-50% of the overall system  memory.  The comments for the
innodb_buffer_pool_size say that it  can be set to 50%-80% of the overall system memory.

  Maybe I don't understand exactly the difference between the two because  I don't
understand why they have different memory recommendations.

  Is there any FAQs on the my.cnf file?  How would you set these two  variables if you had
an even mix of isam and innodb tables?  Where  can I learn more about tweaking the my.cnf
file?  The mysql online  documentation is good, but I need a more basic description of
these two  variables and all the other my.cnf settings.

  Thanks,
  Grant

Yahoo! Photos
key_buffer_size vs innodb_buffer_pool_sizeGrant Giddens15 Jan
  • Re: key_buffer_size vs innodb_buffer_pool_sizeEric Bergen15 Jan
    • Re: key_buffer_size vs innodb_buffer_pool_sizeGrant Giddens17 Jan
      • Re: key_buffer_size vs innodb_buffer_pool_sizesheeri kritzer24 Jan