List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Phillips Date:January 12 2006 5:43pm
Subject:Question regarding running 'mysql' from a bash script
View as plain text
There is a column in my table with string values, but the strings have spaces
in them. I want to read the unique column values into an array in my bash
script, so I can use these values in a separate query on this table. How do I
get the values into an array?

For example, the column teams in my table

| team |.....
Red Sox
Chicago Colleens
Athletics
Kenosha Comets
Red Sox

and I want to create the equivalent statement, but using what I find in the
table"

declare -a TEAMS=("Red Sox" "Chicago Colleens" "Athletics" "Kenosha Comets")

I tried the following:
declare -a TEAMS=(`mysql -u "$USER" -h "$HOST" --password="$PASSWORD" -D
"$DATABASE" -B --disable-column-names --exec "select distinct team from
registered order by team"`)

but I get the following array (using the data above)

("Red" "Sox" "Chicago" "Colleens" "Athletics" "Kenosha" "Comets")

How do I either (1) add quotes around each row entry returned so I get the
right array, or (2) fill the array in a different way?

Thanks!

--
Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc
mark@stripped
602 524-0376
480 945-9197 fax
Thread
Question regarding running 'mysql' from a bash scriptMark Phillips12 Jan
  • Re: Question regarding running 'mysql' from a bash scriptMark Phillips12 Jan
  • Re: Question regarding running 'mysql' from a bash scriptSid Lane12 Jan
    • Query optimizationTripp Bishop12 Jan
      • Re: Query optimizationJames Harvard12 Jan
        • Re: Query optimizationTripp Bishop12 Jan
          • Re: Query optimizationJoerg Bruehe13 Jan
          • innodb selectGeorge Law13 Jan
            • Re: innodb selectGleb Paharenko13 Jan
  • Re: Question regarding running 'mysql' from a bash scriptJake Peavy12 Jan
    • Re: Question regarding running 'mysql' from a bash scriptMark Phillips13 Jan
RE: Question regarding running 'mysql' from a bash scriptGeorge Law12 Jan
  • Re: Question regarding running 'mysql' from a bash scriptMark Phillips13 Jan