List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bruce Dembecki Date:January 11 2006 8:01pm
Subject:Re: move to 64 bit
View as plain text
Hi! Essentially this is true. However let me qualify that a little...
Clearly to take advantage of 64 to you'll want to change your memory
settings and allocate something in my.cnf over 2G. Also you'll want
to be using OS X 10.4.n, 10.3 and earlier don't really support 64
bit. Now that the truly basics are done...

Beware, we encountered a problem with OS X 10.4.n, any 64 Bit MySQL
and InnoDB... Under the right mix of conditions when you allocate
Innodb more than 2Gbytes of memory it is possible at some point to
hang the machine, and it will restart 5 minutes later when the system
watchdog processes cycle the power supply to fix itself. Turns out
its an OS bug, and it's the sort of thing where you need the Sun,
Moon and 18 planets to align together to happen, which made it a
little difficult to track down at Apples end. The good news is I'm
told they found it and nuked it, and we will likely see the fix
included in OS X 10.4.5... just wanted to warn you in case you are
using InnoDB and you start to see the Sun line up with the Moon and...

Other than that, go for it, it all fits together beautifully,
changing the binary is all you need to do.

Best Regards, Bruce