List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graeme B. Davis Date:November 22 1999 4:28pm
Subject:Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perl
View as plain text
> Yeah, I gave a look at roxen, and maybe it does connect to mysql, but it
> does not seem to fall into the arguement of PHP vs. mod-perl. It does not
> appear to have a speed advantage, and its ease of use stops at ms windows
> limitations.

Well then you didn't look hard enough.  Roxen is very powerful as well as
easy to use.  Sites like Real.com use it with exorbitant hit rates and Roxen
doesn't flinch where Apache just croaks.  It is in the same category as PHP
and Mod-perl because it ultimately accomplishes the same things, so that's
why I mentioned it.  It would be interesting to have some sort of comparison
where a common application is developed for the 3 and then benchmarked to
see some real-world results.  Roxen itself is interpreted in real time and
beats servers that are precompiled in many tests.

The only problem is that people fear change and Apache is the most popular
because it was the first and because of name-recognition.  Look at AMD, they
have processors that beat Intel's finest, but end-lusers only hear Intel
commercials so they think that a Pentium is the way to go. *shrug*

</rant> It's a monday... :)

> As to mod_perl vs PHP, it depends on the use. For fast one-database
lookups
> and "hello world" simple scripts, yeah PHP screams just as fast as
mod_perl
> and has a slight ease of use advantage.

> Once, however, you need to keep track of users shopping carts, inventory,
> joined to brands and or categoories tables, all woven together neatly, you
> really need mod_perl for real speed, reliability, and flexibility.

Again, easily tackled with Roxen ;)

> Two cents again
> Jeremy Aaron Horland
> Extropia Open-Source software
> www.extropia.com
> (yes v2.0 will be FULLY MySql realy)

Thread
PHP, Zend, & mod_perlKen Gunderson20 Nov
  • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlJoshua Chamas22 Nov
  • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlAndré Bjärby22 Nov
Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlAllen Bolderoff22 Nov
  • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlGraeme B. Davis22 Nov
    • RE: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlLaran Coates22 Nov
      • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlGraeme B. Davis22 Nov
      • RE: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlJeremy A Horland22 Nov
      • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlAndré Bjärby22 Nov
      • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlGraeme B. Davis22 Nov
    • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlGraeme B. Davis22 Nov
      • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlsrfrog22 Nov
        • RE: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlLaran Coates22 Nov
          • RE: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlsrfrog22 Nov
      • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlKen Gunderson22 Nov
    • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlJoshua Chamas22 Nov
RE: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlAlok Dhir22 Nov
  • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlTim Sailer22 Nov
  • Re: PHP, Zend, & mod_perlSascha Schumann22 Nov