List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 22 1999 4:15pm
Subject:Re: Confused about the 2GB/4GB limit on NT
View as plain text

Joshua> sinisa@stripped wrote:

>> Chris L. Smith writes:
>> > I keep reading how NT limits a file size to 2GB or 4GB, but I was able
>> > to create much larger files than this using MS SQL Server 6.5 and Oracle
>> > 8.1.5.  I'm using NT 4.0 Enterpise Edition with service pack 6 with 3
>> > 18GB SCSI hard drives. Both MS-SQL/Oracle were able to create db tables
>> > in excess of 17GB ... as a single file.  So am I confused ... why can't
>> > MySql do the same thing?
>> > chris

Joshua> I have 4G+ Oracle files on NT with SP4 ... you all should
Joshua> probably compile the NT versions with --with-big-tables.
Joshua> I believe the hang up here might be that FAT file system
Joshua> likely has a 2G file size limit, but NTFS file system
Joshua> does not.  NTFS is part of the reason why people like NT.

Joshua> If you wanted there to be a distinction for --with-big-tables,
Joshua> you could compile one version with and one without.  The one
Joshua> with could be marked as for WinNT, the one without Win9*, as
Joshua> Win9* systems don't get NTFS.

Joshua> Seems reasonable to me at least. :)

Joshua> --Joshua
Joshua> _________________________________________________________________
Joshua> Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
Joshua> NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA
Joshua> http://www.nodeworks.com                1-714-625-4051

Hi!

MySQL 3.23.x should be able to use big files on NT;  I will do a check
of this on 3.23.7 before I release it.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Confused about the 2GB/4GB limit on NTChris L. Smith22 Nov
  • Re: Confused about the 2GB/4GB limit on NTsinisa22 Nov
  • Re: Confused about the 2GB/4GB limit on NTJoshua Chamas22 Nov
    • Re: Confused about the 2GB/4GB limit on NTMichael Widenius22 Nov
  • Re: Confused about the 2GB/4GB limit on NTSteve Ruby22 Nov
    • Re: Confused about the 2GB/4GB limit on NTRobert A. Crawford22 Nov
  • Re: Confused about the 2GB/4GB limit on NTJoshua Chamas22 Nov