List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:December 29 2005 4:53pm
Subject:Re: issue with subquery
View as plain text
Hi Dan, all!

Dan Rossi wrote:
> Hi, im having some issues with a sub query in mysql5 , i have a field
> which is storing a static comma seperate list of primary keys ie 1,2,3,4

Call me pedantic, but I get suspicious:
Is that a list of the four values "1", "2", "3", "4", or is it rather a
single character string "1,2,3,4" ?
Your text "static comma seperate list" makes me believe the latter.

> , i am then trying to use that to find entries in another table of the
> same primary keys here is the sql
>
> SELECT count(*) FROM feeds WHERE feedID IN (SELECT feeds FROM
> month_totals WHERE customerID=9 AND month_unique=1105)
>
> expected result should be 4 , i get 1. If i manually put in
>
> SELECT count(*) FROM feeds WHERE feedID IN (1,2,3,4)
>
> for instance i get 4

Here, SQL syntax clearly specifies that this is a list of 4 integer values.

> querying
>
> SELECT feeds FROM month_totals WHERE customerID=9 AND month_unique=1105
>
> gives me 1,2,3,4 , what seems to be the problem ?

Same question as above - a list of 4 values, or a single one?

Show us your "create table" for the involved tables, and also sample
data of "SELECT feedID FROM feeds".

Regards,
Jörg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Thread
issue with subqueryDan Rossi29 Dec
  • Re: issue with subqueryPeter Brawley29 Dec
  • Re: issue with subqueryJoerg Bruehe29 Dec