List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:steve Date:December 28 2005 2:57pm
Subject:update or insert if necessary?
View as plain text
I have a situation where I need to update a record for a given key in a MySQL table, but
insert a record if the key doesn't exist.  I could do this by doing a SELECT on the key,
then doing an UPDATE if anything comes back, or and INSERT otherwise.  This seems rather
clunky though, and I'm wondering if there is anything like and "up-sert" command, or at
least a preferred way of doing this operation.

TIA....Steve

Thread
update or insert if necessary?steve28 Dec
  • Re: update or insert if necessary?Jeremiah Gowdy28 Dec
  • Re: update or insert if necessary?Jeremiah Gowdy28 Dec
RE: update or insert if necessary?John Trammell28 Dec