List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Grant Giddens Date:December 23 2005 4:49pm
Subject:Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?
View as plain text
Thanks James.  I'll definately give that a  try.  My test server has 1 gig of ram.  In the
my-huge.cnf  example it says that it's mainly for servers that have mysql as the  main
process.  On my production server, I have 1 gig of ram, but  it also runs apache,
mutliple webstites, mysql, DNS, ftp server,  etc...  It's a dedicated server that only
hosts my sites so I can  tweak the configuration.  Should I use the my-large.cnf as a
starting point, or should I be OK with my-huge.cnf?

  Thanks,
  Grant

James Harvard <james.lists.tech@stripped> wrote:The  reason I suggested
that you just use the alternative my-huge.cnf file  is because that is a ready-prepared
config file optimised for systems  with lots of RAM for MySQL to use. You don't need to
know which  variable to change - it's already done for you. You may want/need to  tweak
stuff later, of course, but my-huge.cnf is a better starting  point than my.cnf.

James Harvard

At 6:45 am -0800 23/12/05, Grant Giddens wrote:
>I  think that the reason the original query is so slow is that I don't  have enough
> RAM allocated to mysql. When the original query takes  place, I see a process "Copying to
> tmp table on disk". I believe it's  writing all the data to the disk and then sorting it.
> I'd like to try  tweaking the my.cnf file to allow mysql to use more RAM. I just need
> someone to help me edit the file because I'm not quite sure what I'm  doing...

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Shopping
Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard21 Dec
  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
      • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
        • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
          • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
          • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
            • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank23 Dec
              • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens23 Dec
                • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard23 Dec
                  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens23 Dec
                    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank24 Dec
    • Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinPeter Brawley21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinGleb Paharenko21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard21 Dec
    • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
    • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinSGreen21 Dec
        • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
          • Re: Filtering joinSGreen21 Dec
            • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?SGreen21 Dec