List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Harvard Date:December 23 2005 4:17pm
Subject:Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT
statement?
View as plain text
The reason I suggested that you just use the alternative my-huge.cnf file is because that
is a ready-prepared config file optimised for systems with lots of RAM for MySQL to use.
You don't need to know which variable to change - it's already done for you. You may
want/need to tweak stuff later, of course, but my-huge.cnf is a better starting point
than my.cnf.

James Harvard

At 6:45 am -0800 23/12/05, Grant Giddens wrote:
>I think that the reason the original  query is so slow is that I don't have enough RAM
> allocated to  mysql.  When the original query takes place, I see a process  "Copying to
> tmp table on disk".  I believe it's writing all the  data to the disk and then sorting it.
>  I'd like to try tweaking  the my.cnf file to allow mysql to use more RAM.    I  just need
> someone to help me edit the file because I'm not quite sure  what I'm doing...
Thread
Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard21 Dec
  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
      • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
        • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
          • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
          • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
            • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank23 Dec
              • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens23 Dec
                • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard23 Dec
                  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens23 Dec
                    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank24 Dec
    • Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinPeter Brawley21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinGleb Paharenko21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard21 Dec
    • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
    • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinSGreen21 Dec
        • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
          • Re: Filtering joinSGreen21 Dec
            • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?SGreen21 Dec