List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Grant Giddens Date:December 23 2005 2:45pm
Subject:Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?
View as plain text
Thanks Hank.  I'll try to split up the query  into 2 separate queries.  I think that the
reason the original  query is so slow is that I don't have enough RAM allocated to
mysql.  When the original query takes place, I see a process  "Copying to tmp table on
disk".  I believe it's writing all the  data to the disk and then sorting it.  I'd like
to try tweaking  the my.cnf file to allow mysql to use more RAM.    I  just need someone
to help me edit the file because I'm not quite sure  what I'm doing...

  Thanks,
  Grant

Hank <heskin@stripped> wrote:  > Now that I know what's causing the slow
queries, what can I do to fix it?

The only thing I can suggest is breaking up the query into two parts -
the first part to retrieve just the product codes and salesrank, and
sort and limit that.. save in a temp table or use application code to
retrieve and print the rest of the product info.  Sorting 300,000+
records in that huge result set is going to take some time (although
it shouldn't take 10 minutes).

-Hank

---------------------------------
Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard21 Dec
  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
      • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
        • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
          • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
          • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
            • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank23 Dec
              • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens23 Dec
                • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard23 Dec
                  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens23 Dec
                    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank24 Dec
    • Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinPeter Brawley21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinGleb Paharenko21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECTstatement?James Harvard21 Dec
    • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
    • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
      • Re: Filtering joinSGreen21 Dec
        • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
          • Re: Filtering joinSGreen21 Dec
            • Re: Filtering joinEris Ristemena21 Dec
Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Grant Giddens21 Dec
  • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?Hank21 Dec
    • Re: Do I need to tweak my server variables for this SELECT statement?SGreen21 Dec