List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kenneth Wagner Date:December 22 2005 2:38am
Subject:Re: Are primary keys essential?
View as plain text
Hi James,

If the tables you use have primary keys that _YOU_ don't need or use then,
for you, they are not essential.

I do have a question, though. You are working with SQL tables, aren't you?
And from wherever they came from or exist, I presume from your reply that
you don't need the PKs.

The only help I can envisage for you is if you want to look at the tables in
PK order for some reason.

Does your app create tables from the "large amouns of data?" If you report
from the tables your app creates then you have no need at all for the PKs.
Depends how you want the report data to appear.

On the other hand, the "large amounts of data" db may need or want those
PKs.

Hope this makes sense,

Ken