List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:December 21 2005 2:47am
Subject:Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar field
View as plain text
Nathan Gross <nat101sql@stripped> wrote on 12/20/2005 05:34:58 PM:

> Hi;
> [Mysql 4x] In a table where I get data from another program, I have
> many records (about 1000) that have illegal chars in a [unique]
> indexed varchar field. I would like to clean the illegal characters
> out and leave the rest of the data intact.
> 1. Is there a utility to do this?
> 1b) Or an UPDATE command?
>
> Problem is that I do not even know which characters are illegal.
> For the future, I can have my Java program check before the inserts.
>
> 2. What are the illegal characters?
>
> Thank you.
> -nat

If you don't know what is illegal, how do you know you have illegal
characters? Are you getting some kind of error message or warning? You
have to give us the same information you have in order for us to make an
informed decision.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

Thread
Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldNathan Gross20 Dec
  • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldSGreen21 Dec
    • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldNathan Gross21 Dec
      • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldSGreen21 Dec
        • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldNathan Gross21 Dec
          • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldSGreen21 Dec
          • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldHassan Schroeder21 Dec
            • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldNathan Gross21 Dec
              • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldHassan Schroeder21 Dec
                • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldNathan Gross21 Dec
                  • Matching phone numbers to addressesRussell Horn21 Dec
                    • Re: Matching phone numbers to addressesPeter Brawley21 Dec
                  • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldHassan Schroeder21 Dec
                    • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldNathan Gross21 Dec
                  • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldMark Matthews21 Dec
                    • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldNathan Gross21 Dec
      • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldJamesDR21 Dec
        • Re: Cleaning illegal characters from varchar fieldNathan Gross21 Dec