List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jens Theisen Date:December 19 2005 3:01pm
Subject:advisory locking with shared/exclusive locking sematics
View as plain text
Hello,

I want to synchronise read and write access to a MySQL database in a
cluster. Advisory locking would be fine, but I want to lock out writes
during reads while still being able to do multiple reads at the same time.

I can't see how to do this with GET_LOCK, and table locks have annoying
side effects; in particular, all tables that are not locked after
issueing a table lock, are inaccessible. Even more worrying, this is a
per alias-constraint, so that you have to know what (and especially how
many) aliases you will need at any time during the locking at the point
where you lock the tables.

Currently I'm inclined to think that the easiest way around this is to
employ a locking manager independent to MySQL - though it seems rather
silly that you can't do these things within it.

Did I overlook something?

Cheers,

Jens
Thread
advisory locking with shared/exclusive locking sematicsJens Theisen19 Dec