List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:December 18 2005 11:48pm
Subject:Re: How to Square a number?
View as plain text
mos <mos99@stripped> wrote on 12/18/2005 06:36:16 PM:

> How do I square a number in MySQL 4.1? I thought it would be something
> simple like:
>
> select 3**2
>
> but that produces a syntax error. I can use Pow(3,2) but that produces a

> float. Is there a Square function? TIA
>
> Mike

If you took 7th grade math, you should know that squaring a number is
shorthand for multiplying it by itself. I commend the MySQL designers for
leaving out a function to do such a simple thing. IMHO if you use N*N, you
will get as accurate results as if there were a SQR(N) function you could
call.  This is just too simple to need a function to evaluate.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Thread
How to Square a number?mos19 Dec
  • Re: How to Square a number?James Harvard19 Dec
    • Re: How to Square a number?mos19 Dec
      • Re: How to Square a number?Peter Brawley19 Dec
        • Re: How to Square a number?mos19 Dec
          • Re: How to Square a number?Elmar von Muralt19 Dec
            • Re: How to Square a number?mos19 Dec
  • Re: How to Square a number?SGreen19 Dec
  • Re: How to Square a number?Hugh Sasse19 Dec
RE: How to Square a number?SST - Adelaide)19 Dec
  • RE: How to Square a number?mos20 Dec
RE: How to Square a number?SST - Adelaide)20 Dec