List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Kasak Date:December 18 2005 9:48pm
Subject:Re: GUI (linux X based or web based) for mysql
View as plain text
Dotan Cohen wrote:

>I keep a lot of personal information in a MySQL database. I have a few
>querys premade for the wife to use, but we have gotten to the point
>where we need a solution for her to be able to run her own queries.
>She is NOT about to learn SQL, and myPHPadmin is a little too
>compicated. I looked at an Access installation the other day and it
>seemed to be just what we need- a GUI for non-programmers to use a
>database. Is there any such beast for MySQL? Anthing that will run on
>Fedora Core 4 would be great. Or even a web-based solution would be
>fine- I do have apache on localhost.

I have a number of open-source Perl projects that may help you out, at:
http://entropy.homelinux.org/axis_not_evil

They're more targetted at developers than end-users at the moment ... I
have plans ...

Anyway, with minimal effort you can get a very nice looking Gtk2-based
GUI going with the help of Glade to make your interface, and a couple of
lines of Perl code to connect your database to your GUI. The current
release of Gtk2::Ex::DBI ( you just motivated me to make the next
release, which I'd been procrastinating over for ages ) has a built-in
search dialog, that you can trigger in 2 ways - by right-clicking in a
field in the GUI and selecting 'find' from the context-sensitive menu,
or by putting a button on your form and connecting it to the
find_dialog() method of Gtk2::Ex::DBI. This will give you a dialog that
lets you add criteria that gets appended to the 'where' clause of the
query ... ie it doesn't do a slow search on every record ( like Access
), but lets you send your criteria to the database for rapid results.

Admittedly, the documentation is a little sparse, but I'm working on a
nice demo application that shows off all the features of the 3 modules.
Hopefully over Christmas I'll get time to finish it off.

Oh yeah ... did I mention that it's all cross-platform goodness? :) I've
tested on Linux, Windows 2000 and OS-X. You will of course need to
install Gtk2 for the last 2, but it's not that hard - at least on Windows.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer