List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Reina Date:April 16 1999 12:26am
Subject:Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.
View as plain text
Sasha,

Thank you so much for taking the time to repond to my question.  I'll
get to work learning C or Perl and HTML right away.  Thank you so much
for your help.

Richard

Sasha Pachev wrote:

> Richard Reina wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to port a DBMS application from Foxpro2.5 for DOS to linux.
> > Everything I've read says MySQL is the best but I'm not sure where I go
> > from here. I'm confident I can recreate the databases (tables) in MySQL
> > but I have no idea how I will recreate the end user screens, reports,
> > and write the programs that will manipulate them.  In foxpro2.5 these
> > functions are all self contained.  First, do I have to learn C, C++,
> > Pearl, PHP or all of the above?  If so, can some recommend some books.
>
> Yes, at least of them. I would personally start with C,
> that would make learning the rest easier. As far as the
> books are concerned, remember that the speed/efficiency
> of learning is determined about 10% by what kind of
> resource you have and about 90% by what you do with it.
> Patiece + Determination + Time = Success
>
> > Second,  the user interface does not have to be pretty, just easy for
> > the end user to use -- no immediate need to connect it to the web.  Do
> > all user interfaces use the X windows system -- the X windows use up
> > quite a bit of ram, I would like to avoid this -- and if they do, are
> > they stable?
>
> In most instances building a Web interface to a database
> is much easier and portable than doing it in X Windows,
> which is the reason it is done more often. HTML can do
> what most users need, and if they really insist on more,
> you can often use a Java Applet to make them happy.
>

> > I'm sorry to ask such basic questions, but if some one can tell me what
> > I need to know I will go learn it and do my best not to bother anyone,
> > and most importantly I'll be able to avoid going to MS Windows.
>
> You are on the right track, stay away from M$ Windoze,
> and learn real programming.
>
> --
> Sasha Pachev
> http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
> http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Richard Reina15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Sasha Pachev15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.S. Whitmore15 Apr
    • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Ed Carp16 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.John Elliott15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Richard Reina16 Apr
Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Christopher R. Jones15 Apr