List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Bergen Date:December 9 2005 9:27pm
Subject:Re: Optimize: 14 hours and still running!
View as plain text
Is the box swapping?

Gleb Paharenko wrote:

>Hello.
>
>As was mentioned by other members without seeing your configuration
>settings it is difficult to say about InnoDB performance. You can
>indirectly monitor the OPTIMIZE speed by ROW OPERATIONS section of SHOW
>INNODB STATUS. For InnoDB it maps to ALTER TABLE, which rebuilds
>the table.
>

>Nathan Gross wrote:
>

>>On a 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, Linux machine running Mysql 4.1x.
>>  I have an Innodb table with over 20 million records and index size
>>about 3.7 gig, data size 2.2gig (yes, many indexes, more space then
>>the data itself). Last night I tried an Optimize from the Admin gui
>>console (logged in as root at the host server), and the thing is still
>>running!
>>Problem is I need to leave early this evening and have to take some action.
>>
>>The Linux 'top' utility has it on the top since then at about 11%-18%
>>cpu Disk activity is continuously heavy.
>>
>>1. How long should it take?
>>
>>2. If I hit <cancel> will it:
>>a) Roll back what it did, another 14 hours!
>>b) Just stop as if nothing happened.
>>c) The table will be partially optimized and will run normally.
>>d) hang the process and/or machine.
>>
>>3. Is the data in jeopardy?
>>
>>Thank you all.
>>-nat

Thread
Optimize: 14 hours and still running!Nathan Gross8 Dec
  • Re: Optimize: 14 hours and still running!Robert L Cochran8 Dec
  • Re: Optimize: 14 hours and still running!Gleb Paharenko9 Dec
    • Re: Optimize: 14 hours and still running!Eric Bergen9 Dec
RE: Optimize: 14 hours and still running!Jeff McKeon8 Dec
Re: Optimize: 14 hours and still running!Heikki Tuuri9 Dec