List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Scott Klarenbach Date:December 5 2005 7:43pm
Subject:Re: How to use Logic in View Statment?
View as plain text
As an update to my earlier question, is it possible to have logic in
select statements including the join?  ie,

select
 IF(CHAR_LENGTH(broker)>0,broker,vendor) as company
from table 1
 IF(CHAR_LENGTH(broker)>0,INNER JOIN tblBroker,INNER JOIN tblVendor)

Thanks.

On 11/28/05, SGreen@stripped <SGreen@stripped> wrote:

> Scott Klarenbach <doyouunderstand@stripped> wrote on 11/28/2005 01:58:22
> PM:
>

> > I'd like to do the following in my view
> >
> > select
> >   fieldOne,
> >   fieldTwo,
> >   if(fieldThree.length>0) then fieldThree as Company
> >   else fieldFour as Company
> >
> > from table;
> >
> > I realize this syntax isn't correct and length doesn't exists, but is
> > this possible?  I've seen it done in SQLServer, but can't remember the
> > syntax.
> >
> > --
> http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1
> >

> LENGTH does exist (as a function):
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/string-functions.html
>
> and here is how to use the IF() function:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/control-flow-functions.html
>
> I believe this is the equivalent statement you wanted:
>
> SELECT
>   fieldOne,
>   fieldTwo,
>   IF(CHAR_LENGTH(fieldThree)>0,fieldThree,fieldFour) as
> Company
> FROM table;
>
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Thread
How to use Logic in View Statment?Scott Klarenbach28 Nov
  • Re: How to use Logic in View Statment?SGreen28 Nov
    • Re: How to use Logic in View Statment?Cory @ SkyVantage28 Nov
      • Re: How to use Logic in View Statment?SGreen28 Nov
    • Re: How to use Logic in View Statment?Martijn Tonies28 Nov
    • Re: How to use Logic in View Statment?Scott Klarenbach5 Dec
      • Re: How to use Logic in View Statment?SGreen5 Dec
  • Re: How to use Logic in View Statment?Peter Brawley28 Nov
RE: How to use Logic in View Statment?Gelu Gogancea28 Nov