List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Elliott Date:April 15 1999 7:32pm
Subject:Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.
View as plain text
I would definitely have a look at Flagship before re-coding everything.

-->  http://www.fship.com

Richard Reina wrote:

> I am trying to port a DBMS application from Foxpro2.5 for DOS to linux.
> Everything I've read says MySQL is the best but I'm not sure where I go
> from here. I'm confident I can recreate the databases (tables) in MySQL
> but I have no idea how I will recreate the end user screens, reports,
> and write the programs that will manipulate them.  In foxpro2.5 these
> functions are all self contained.  First, do I have to learn C, C++,
> Pearl, PHP or all of the above?  If so, can some recommend some books.
> Second,  the user interface does not have to be pretty, just easy for
> the end user to use -- no immediate need to connect it to the web.  Do
> all user interfaces use the X windows system -- the X windows use up
> quite a bit of ram, I would like to avoid this -- and if they do, are
> they stable?
>
> I'm sorry to ask such basic questions, but if some one can tell me what
> I need to know I will go learn it and do my best not to bother anyone,
> and most importantly I'll be able to avoid going to MS Windows.
>
> Humbly,
>
> Richard

John Elliott                                                    john@stripped
Systems Administrator
Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce                        http://www.djc.com/
ph. 206.622.8272 fax 206.622.7086
OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Richard Reina15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Sasha Pachev15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.S. Whitmore15 Apr
    • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Ed Carp16 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.John Elliott15 Apr
  • Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Richard Reina16 Apr
Re: OK, I admit it. I'm clueless.Christopher R. Jones15 Apr