List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rhino Date:November 30 2005 5:02am
Subject:Re: SHOW commands.
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Williams" <mwilliams@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:30 PM
Subject: SHOW commands.

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a command similar to "SHOW CREATE TABLE. . ." that will  output
> the commands to fully duplicate a table; data and all?  I want  to
> retrieve the command and write it to a text file.
>
> Basically what I need is a "SHOW" on "CREATE TABLE copy SELECT * FROM
> original", but SHOW doesn't seem to work here.  I need a copy of this
> command so that I can then replicate that table as often as desired  in
> the future on whatever system is in place.  I could obviously dump  the
> entire db, but i only want this on a per table basis, as I deem
> necessary, whenever I deem it so.  Any help would be greatly  appreciated.

I think there is an option of mysqldump that lets you dump just a single,
specified table. Maybe that would do the trick for you?

If not, and assuming you are running an appropriate version of MySQL, would
a query on INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES get you what you want? I'm still on
V4.0.x so I'm not completely clear on what is available in the
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.

If all else fails and you have a Java developer handy, you can write Java
code to determine the composition of tables, even in MySQL 4.0.x; I know
because I've done it.

Rhino