List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Matt Monaco Date:November 28 2005 11:36pm
Subject:comma-separated JOINS
View as plain text
When using JOINS by the simply supplying a comma separated list of tables in
the FROM clause, is the ON argument normally associated with a join intended
to be addressed in the WHERE clause, or should ON still be used?

// Comma separated join
SELECT u.*, a.city FROM users u, addresses a WHERE u.id=a.user_id;

// Actual JOIN clause
SELECT u.*, a.city FROM users u INNER JOIN addresses a ON u.id=a.user_id;

// Query style in question
SELECT u.*, a.city FROM users u, addresses a ON u.id=a.user_id;

If not ON, is there at least another viable argument?  The reason I'm
interested is for a query involving 5 or 6 tables and WHERE arguments which
do not deal with the relationships.  I would like to assure the efficiency
of this query.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Thread
comma-separated JOINSMatt Monaco29 Nov
  • Re: comma-separated JOINSPeter Brawley29 Nov
  • Re: comma-separated JOINSMatt Monaco29 Nov
    • Re: comma-separated JOINSSGreen29 Nov
    • Re: comma-separated JOINSMatt Monaco29 Nov