List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:sheeri kritzer Date:November 28 2005 4:35pm
Subject:Re: Seeking Opinions
View as plain text
Part of me agrees with you, on a "Pure SQL level". but then why would
anyone ever use ENUM or SET?

-Sheeri

On 11/28/05, Martijn Tonies <m.tonies@stripped> wrote:

> > I did answer my own question, and that's why I said:
> >
> > > That being said, the point of this post is to ask -- Is MySQL working
> > > on allowing the SET limit to increase?  Or is that just too much
> > > storage and math?
> >
> > Using a SET is, I believe, MUCH faster than making a special table
> > simply to normalize the data.  I believe in using MySQL's
> > functionality to the fullest, and working smarter, not harder.
> >
> > Would folks use SET to help normalize their data instead of using a
> > separate table?  Should I put in a request for the feature I want?  Or
> > would very few folks benefit, and it would add too much storage and
> > computational cost? (my original question)
>
> Create a separate table.
>
> MySQL is a database engine.
>
> Tables is what database engines do.
>
> Your design should be clear and extendable without having to
> modify metadata (adding a category would need you to do an
> ALTER TABLE).
>

> --
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL, Oracle & MS SQL
> Server
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com
> Database development questions? Check the forum!

Seeking OpinionsRobb Kerr25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsSGreen25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsRhino25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsJohan25 Nov
    • Re: Seeking OpinionsHal Vaughan25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsRobb Kerr25 Nov
    • Re: Seeking OpinionsJohan26 Nov
      • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsSGreen28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsHarald Fuchs29 Nov