List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:November 28 2005 3:25pm
Subject:Re: Seeking Opinions
View as plain text

> I did answer my own question, and that's why I said:
>
> > That being said, the point of this post is to ask -- Is MySQL working
> > on allowing the SET limit to increase?  Or is that just too much
> > storage and math?
>
> Using a SET is, I believe, MUCH faster than making a special table
> simply to normalize the data.  I believe in using MySQL's
> functionality to the fullest, and working smarter, not harder.
>
> Would folks use SET to help normalize their data instead of using a
> separate table?  Should I put in a request for the feature I want?  Or
> would very few folks benefit, and it would add too much storage and
> computational cost? (my original question)

Create a separate table.

MySQL is a database engine.

Tables is what database engines do.

Your design should be clear and extendable without having to
modify metadata (adding a category would need you to do an
ALTER TABLE).

--
Martijn Tonies
Server

Thread
Seeking OpinionsRobb Kerr25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsSGreen25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsRhino25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsJohan25 Nov
    • Re: Seeking OpinionsHal Vaughan25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsRobb Kerr25 Nov
    • Re: Seeking OpinionsJohan26 Nov
      • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsSGreen28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsHarald Fuchs29 Nov