List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hal Vaughan Date:November 25 2005 6:53pm
Subject:Re: Seeking Opinions
View as plain text
On Friday 25 November 2005 01:44 pm, Johan wrote:
> > Option One
> > Related tables. Table one (clipart pieces) contains ClipartID and
> > ClipartName fields. Table two (keywords) contains KeywordID, ClipartID
> > and Keyword fields. This option will create an incredibly large related
> > table (keywords) with each piece of clipart having tens of related fields
> > in the keyword table. But, searching ought to be fast.
>
> Use this option but use a third table that contains just ClipartID and
> KeywordID to create the m:n relationship. Like this:
>
> Clipart: ClipartID (primary key) & Clipartname
> Linktable: ClipartID & KeywordID (ClipartID + KeywordID = primary key)

In the Clipart table, are names required to be unique?  If so, then you can
use Clipartname as the index, and that would eliminate the 3rd table.

Or so I think -- I'm still learning this.

Hal
Thread
Seeking OpinionsRobb Kerr25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsSGreen25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsRhino25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsJohan25 Nov
    • Re: Seeking OpinionsHal Vaughan25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsRobb Kerr25 Nov
    • Re: Seeking OpinionsJohan26 Nov
      • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsSGreen28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsHarald Fuchs29 Nov